Five Kids in Six Years, No Multiples. Our House is Always Crazy, Rarely Quiet, and Full of Love.

Five Kids in Six Years, No Multiples. Our House is Always Crazy, Rarely Quiet, and Full of love.

Miss Cakes :: three years of fun, love & attitude

A few weeks ago, I posted about my oldest turning four. Well, the day after that post my middle child turned three – and yes, I’m just now getting around to posting about it.

Three years ago, I had one of the scariest things happen to me (even scarier than when I was mugged at gunpoint – a story for another time). I was near the end of my third trimester, sitting on the living room floor with my husband & our 1 year old. Leaning with my back against the couch, I decided to get up & kind of rocked forward with my hands in front of me to push off the floor. When I rocked forward, I felt a “pop” in my stomach. It was a weird feeling, but I continued to get up. It was then that I felt something warm “gushing” and thought my water had broken. However, I was horrified to look down & see bright red blood everywhere. My husband helped me to the bathroom, called his mom (our nurse for everything, who happened to be in town) & then called 911.

I was transported by¬†ambulance to the nearest hospital, fearing the worst. Thankfully, at the hospital, a fetal heart monitor quickly reassured me that baby was okay at the moment. My contractions went from being 7 minutes apart to 15 minutes apart. And they lasted that way for 2 days – and they were painful, couldn’t walk or talk while I was having them contractions. When the doctors could not find what was wrong, they released me – telling me to come back if my contractions were 7 minutes apart. About 5 hours later, my contractions were 7 minutes apart, so we went back to the hospital. I was admitted and told the doctor on call was delivering at another hospital, and would be by shortly.

The doctor wouldn’t show up for over 12 hours. I spent the next 12 hours with the most painful contractions. I had done a natural delivery with our first daughter, and I planned to do it again. Since I had no idea when the doctor would show up, I ended up taking Stadol – which I will never do again. It made me feel loopy, and did not alleviate any of the pain. When the doctor finally showed up the next morning, she broke my water & my daughter was born within 5 minutes. Then, the doctor revealed that I had had a placenta abruption. Things could have turned out very differently, and I am very thankful that our little blessing celebrated her third birthday a couple weeks ago.

Here she is as our sweet little bundle of joy…

I’ve always thought she looked a bit like Posh Spice in that photo. Which, I guess, should have prepared me for the attitude she’d develop a couple years later. She was still sweet (and attitude-less) at her first birthday.

Then, something happened & she started making the “attitude” faces. Not sure how or when it happened. Maybe when her little brother was born & she became a middle child. However, my mom was a middle child, so I’ve always tried to give Miss Cakes the same attention as the other two. Maybe it was a result of her endless curiosity. I don’t know how many times I’ve had to call poison control for this one. Diaper rash ointment can’t taste that good, so why eat half the tube? And the climbing? This one is adventurous & should probably be in gymnastics to cure her of the need to pull-up on stuff.

Although she has the most attitude of our kids, she’s also the most sensitive. Out of the three, she picks up on stuff the fastest – like walking & talking earlier than the others.¬†And she likes to cling to mommy, which I enjoy. However, I am a bit worried about her teenage years, since she already has the attitude down.

She’s also really big into dressing up at the moment, and loves to play mommy to her dolls. Maybe she’ll shift her attitude when her little brother arrives next month, and she’s not the only middle child anymore… or, we may end up with two kids with ‘tude!

Leave a Reply